The DAR manages the state’s aquatic resources and ecosystems through programs in ecosystem management, place-based management, and fisheries management. Major program areas include projects to:
- protect and restore the aquatic environment;
- protect threatened and endangered aquatic species and their habitat;
- conserve and restore endemic and indigenous aquatic species and their habitat;
- combat the introduction of invasive species and reduce their impact on ecosystems;
- effectively manage fisheries; and
- carry out education and outreach to the public.