Announcement of the Opening of Archery Hunting in the Puuanahulu Game Management Area for 2016Posted on Feb 26, 2016 in Announcements
ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE OPENING OF ARCHERY HUNTING IN THE
PUUANAHULU GAME MANAGEMENT AREA FOR 2016
The Department of Land and Natural Resources announces opening of archery hunting in PUUANAHULU GAME MANAGEMENT AREA (GMA) beginning Saturday, March 5, 2016, and continuing on weekends and State Holidays through Sunday, June 26, 2016. Annual closure of the archery season in this GMA will be from July through February. Season length, bag limits, and hunting areas are those established in Title 13, Chapter 123, “Rules Regulating Game Mammal Hunting.” The following conditions and restrictions will apply for the hunt:
- The daily bag limit will be one pig of either sex, one male sheep (ram), and two goats (any sex) per hunter per day. These are also the season limits for each species.
- Hunters will need to obtain 2016 ram and goat tags to legally hunt in this area. Tags may be obtained from any Hawaii Island Division of Forestry & Wildlife office. Sheep and goat tag fees will be $10/ tag for residents and $25/tag for non-residents.
- Hunters must be in possession of an unused 2016 ram or goat tag to continue hunting in the area.
- The harvest tags will not be transferable and must be placed through the hind leg of the animal immediately after each kill.
- ATVs will be allowed in the area and must remain on designated roads.
Report game law violations or any suspicious activity to the Division of Conservation and Resources Enforcement at (808) 974-6208 in Hilo. After hours and on weekends and holidays, calls may be made toll-free to Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR), enforcement at 643-DLNR (643-3567). The area may be closed to hunting and other public access at any time due to wildland fire or fire hazard.
Further information may be obtained by contacting the Division of Forestry and Wildlife Offices in Hilo at (808) 974-4232 or in Kamuela at (808) 887-6063.