Kanoelehua and Banyan Drive StudiesPosted on May 5, 2016 in Public Hearings and Notices
DLNR leases lands in Hilo, Hawaii at Banyan Drive and in the Kanoelehua Industrial Area. Revenue from these leases supports important DLNR programs, including those conducted by the Division of Forestry and Wildlife, Division of State Parks, Engineering Division, Office of Conservation and Coastal Lands, and Commission on Water Resource Management.
One of the leases at Banyan Drive has expired and has been placed on a month-to-month revocable permit. Other leases at Banyan Drive and in the Kanoelehua Industrial Area will expire in the next several years. In anticipation of the expiration of these leases, DLNR commissioned studies to provide information to assist with the Department’s planning for the future of these areas. The studies are available below for public review and comment.
|Goal:||Support the Banyan Drive Working Group’s efforts to address the future of Banyan Drive|
|Objective:||Obtain an understanding of conditions, limitations and opportunities for the formulation of revitalization strategies|
- Tourism Market Study – To analyze the tourism industry and determine market demand for a new hotel in Hilo.
- Sea Level Rise Assessment – To assess sea level rise effects on Banyan Drive parcels.
- Master Lease Feasibility Analysis – To investigate the feasibility of placing management of Reed’s Bay Hotel, Country Club Condominium, and Uncle Billy’s Hotel under a single master lease.
Kanoelehua Industrial Area
|Goal:||Improve management effectiveness of DLNR’s Kanoelehua lands|
|Objective:||Obtain an understanding of conditions, limitations and opportunities for the effective management of DLNR’s Kanoelehua lands|
- Market Study – To determine market demand for industrial-commercial uses in the Hilo region for the near- and long-term.
- Lot Consolidation Analysis – To identify opportunities for consolidating/resubdividing lots to maximize functionality and value for DLNR.
- Master Lease Feasibility Analysis – To investigate the feasibility and desirability of placing management of DLNR’s Kanoelehua properties under a single master lease.
DLNR will be hosting public meetings for Banyan Drive and Kanoelehua Industrial Area. A brief presentation on the studies will be made and members of the public will be given the opportunity to ask questions and provide comments. Both meetings will be held at:
County of Hawaii
101 Pauahi Street, Suite 1
Hilo, Hawaii 96720
- Banyan Drive – January 15, 2016 at 1:00 p.m.
- Kanoelehua Industrial Area – January 15, 2016 at 9:00 a.m.
If you are not able to attend the meeting, please download a comment form below and send your written comments to the following address. Please provide your comments by February 1, 2016.
Mail comments to:
KANOELEHUA/BANYAN DRIVE COMMENTS
305 High Street, Suite 104
Wailuku, Hawaii 96793