Your search found 238 hits
- Kauai Albatross Need Your Help! Please help identify the owner of dogs in the photoLIHUE -- The Department of Land and Natural Resources is asking for the public‘s help in identifying the owner(s) of two dogs recently seen attacking ground-nesting Laysan albatrosses in Moloa’a, Kauai. They were photographed and the image is posted on fliers that are being distributed in the community, starting Friday.
Since December, a string of albatross killings has been reported at two coastal properties on the northeast shores of Kauai. A total of 17 birds were found mauled to death at Moloaa by dogs this season.
- Rescued Newell’s Shearwater Chick Heads To Sea; Miracle Bird Highlights Extraordinary Recovery Effort(Kīlauea, Kaua‘i) – At the Nihoku predator-proof enclosure at the Kīlauea Point National Wildlife Refuge, it was designated Newell’s Shearwater (‘A‘o) Chick #8. On Sunday evening this healthy chick left its manmade burrow and headed out to sea; one of eight young birds that had been translocated to Nihoku as part of an extraordinary effort to save Hawai‘i’s endemic seabirds from extinction.
- Keanae Arboretum Temporary Closure March 29 and 30 for Removal of Fallen TreesThe Department of Land and Natural Resources, Division of Forestry and Wildlife will briefly close the Keanae Arboretum for two days, on Wednesday, March 29 and Thursday, March 30, 2017. This closure will allow a contractor to safely remove trees that recently fell across the trail within the arboretum. The arboretum will reopen on Friday March 31.
- Call for ResearchersThe Division of Forestry and Wildlife (DOFAW) is interested in partnering with researchers to target studies that guide and improve management. DOFAW has created a database to better communicate the Division’s research needs. With more information relating to the topics found in this list, DOFAW will be able to more effectively protect species and manage […]
- DLNR Announces Goat Hunting To Open On Kaua‘iHONOLULU -- The Department of Land and Natural Resources is pleased to announce the openings in July of archery, muzzleload rifle, and high-powered rifle hunting seasons for feral goats on the island of Kaua‘i. Dues to the recent signing of new Chapter 123 Statewide Game mammal hunting seasons and rules by Governor David Y. Ige, the 2015 Kauai goat rifle and muzzleloader lottery hunting season was amended to start the new hunts in July. Pursuant to Title 13, Chapter 123 “Rules Regulating Game Mammal Hunting,” the following rules and conditions will be in effect for the hunt:
- Native Plant Enthusiasts Invited To Annual O‘ahu Arbor Day Plant Sale Friday At State Forestry NurseryHONOLULU -- The public is invited to the annual Arbor Day plant sale on Friday, November 4 from 9 a.m. to 12 noon at the Department of Land and Natural Resources, Division of Forestry and Wildlife O‘ahu plant nursery at 2135 Makiki Heights Dr., in Honolulu.
- School Children Help Release Rescued ShearwatersLIHU'E – School children from Island School helped release five fledgling ‘A‘o (Newell’s Shearwaters) and one Leach's Storm-petrel yesterday as part of the annual E Ho‘opomaika‘i ‘ia na Manu ‘A‘o (A Cultural Release of the Native Newell’s Shearwater) event. The event was organized by the Kauai Endangered Seabird Recovery Project (KESRP) and the Save Our Shearwaters (SOS) project.
- Public Meetings Scheduled For Kôkeʻe Reforestation ProjectHONOLULU - The Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) Division of Forestry and Wildlife (DOFAW) will hold a series of public informational meetings about the ongoing Kôkeʻe Area Restoration and Reforestation project.