TMK: 8-8-1-5, 8-8-1-6, 8-8-1-7, 8-8-1-10
Kipahoehoe Natural Area Reserve is a narrow piece of land running down the southwest slopes of Mauna Loa in the district of South Kona. It includes a rare lowland grassland, as well as mesic and wet forests of `ohi`a and koa. Recent volcanic flows run through the Reserve, leaving a variety of different aged communities.
Natural Communities: 9 total, 1 rare
Native Plants: 117 total taxa, 4 rare
Native Animals: 8 total taxa, 3 rare
- Kipahoehoe Fact Sheet
- Kipahoehoe Management Plan
- Kipahoehoe Environmental Assessment (No Management Plan or Cultural Study Appendices)
- Kipahoehoe Cultural Study
- Kipahoehoe Vegetation Map
- Kipahoehoe Topographical Map
- Kipahoehoe Adjacent Landowners Map
- Conservation District Use Permit Kipahoehoe
- Special Management Area Info Kipahoehoe
Kipahoehoe is within the Three Mountain Alliance (TMA). Please click here to read the TMA management plan which includes plans for Kipahoehoe.