Welcome Volunteers! Join DLNR for a day of volunteering or you can sign up for regular volunteer opportunities. Volunteers support DLNR’s broad mission to care for our islands from the mountaintops to our nearshore waters. The Department has multiple ways to connect you to the opportunities you’re looking for:
- iVolunteer: Visit DLNR iVolunteer to see new and ongoing volunteer opportunities posted by the department. You can register on iVolunteer to manage your volunteer trips and be notified of upcoming events.
- School/Organization Service Trips with the Division of Forestry and Wildlife: If you manage an organization or school group and would like to plan a service trip with the DLNR Division of Forestry and Wildlife, please use the DLNR DOFAW Service Trip Request Form below to connect with an outreach specialist near you.
- Additional Opportunities for Teachers: Alternatively, teachers can look for opportunities offered by the DLNR Division of Forestry and Wildlife on ClimbHI.org, a partner website that connects teachers with available opportunities.
To learn what DLNR volunteers are currently doing, check out the DLNR Facebook page for updates. Join the fun and help Hawai‘i’s environment!
For group leaders and teachers interested in bringing your hui or class into the field, your groups are also welcome to learn about Hawaiian forests, wetlands, or coastal ecology at one of our forest reserves, natural area reserves, or wildlife sanctuaries. Participants engage in native plant and wildlife identification, and habitat restoration where they assist foresters and wildlife biologists by removing terrestrial or aquatic invasives, and replacing them with native species via seed scatter and out-plantings. Water quality monitoring, wildlife surveying, hiking and camping may also be involved!
COVID notice: We are following State/County re-opening strategies and must limit the amount of people per volunteer trip according to the guidelines. To see the number of volunteers allowed to gather based on the current tier, visit your island’s COVID-19 informational page:
- Oʻahu: https://www.oneoahu.org/reopening-strategy
- Kauaʻi: https://www.kauai.gov/COVID-19
- Maui Nui: https://www.mauicounty.gov/2370/COVID-19-Coronavirus-Information
- Hawaiʻi Island: https://www.rd.hawaiicounty.gov/economic-development/covid-19-business-resources-and-information/reopening-guidance
Fill out our Trip Request Form to begin planning your service trip with DLNR Division of Forestry and Wildlife:
Classroom Presentations and Remote Learning Resources
If your hui is not able to come to the forest, bring the forest to you! Browse through the DLNR Division of Forestry and Wildlifeʻs environmental education resources to find online or remote learning opportunities. Your classroom or group can also arrange a presentation with an outreach and education specialist! Current outreach and education specialists on each Division branch are listed below: