Connect with DOFAW: Request a Presentation or Trip
At the Division of Forestry & Wildlife, we want to connect with you in order to help you connect with nature. If you manage a classroom or other organizational group, contact us through the information below to request a presentation. Our classroom presentations are offered both virtually and in person, when possible. If your classroom or group is interested in a service learning trip, you can fill out the form below. We also offer volunteer opportunities for individuals or groups interested in joining one of our volunteer experiences.
If your hui is not able to come to the forest, we will bring the forest to you! Your classroom or group can request a presentation with an outreach and education specialist, whether virtually or in person. Current outreach and education specialists on each Division branch are listed below. Hawaiʻi Department of Education teachers can also schedule events with us through the ClimbHI.org education portal.
- Hawaiʻi Island: Andrea Buskirk, [email protected]
- Maui Nui: Jeff Bagshaw, [email protected]
- Oʻahu: Pua Heimuli, [email protected]
- Kaua‘i: Yuki Reiss, [email protected]
- Statewide Admin Office: Josh Atwood, [email protected]
Service Trips for School Groups and other Organizations
For group leaders and teachers interested in bringing your hui or class into the field, your groups are also welcome to learn about Hawaiian forests, wetlands, or coastal ecology at one of our forest reserves, natural area reserves, or wildlife sanctuaries. Participants engage in native plant and wildlife identification, and habitat restoration where they assist foresters and wildlife biologists by removing terrestrial or aquatic invasives, and replacing them with native species via seed scatter and out-plantings. Water quality monitoring, wildlife surveying, hiking and camping may also be involved!
COVID notice: We are following State/County re-opening strategies and must limit the amount of people per volunteer trip according to the guidelines. To see the number of volunteers allowed to gather based on the current tier, visit your island’s COVID-19 informational page:
- Oʻahu: https://www.oneoahu.org/reopening-strategy
- Kauaʻi: https://www.kauai.gov/COVID-19
- Maui Nui: https://www.mauicounty.gov/2370/COVID-19-Coronavirus-Information
- Hawaiʻi Island: https://www.rd.hawaiicounty.gov/economic-development/covid-19-business-resources-and-information/reopening-guidance
Fill out our Trip Request Form to begin planning your service trip with DLNR Division of Forestry and Wildlife: