State Parks Permit Information
Photo Credit: Tim DelaVega
hawaii wave


Monitor local surf and weather reports prior to your park visit.

[KAUAʻI] UPDATED 6/17/24 – Polihale State Park: Queen's Pond access Road is CLOSED June 17-21 (m-f) for rock placement.  Pedestrian traffic should be aware of heavy equipment traversing through the area.  The park remains open - visitors should access via Cane Top access road and points beyond.

[HAWAI’I] UPDATED 6/10/24 –'Akaka Falls State Park is now fully open.  There will be a brief closure later this month (June 24-28, m-f), for additional repair work.

[KAUAʻI] UPDATED 6/18/24 –Kalalau Trail, Nāpali Coast State Wilderness Park: Camping permits held back for local residents during summer, see Kalalau Trail site for more information.

[KAUAʻI] UPDATED 6/18/24 – Kōkeʻe State Park: The gate to Puʻu O Kila Lookout will be closed to vehicular traffic due to road repairs beginning 3/19/24. The lookout will still be accessible by pedestrians, parking is available at Kalalau lookout.

[HAWAI'I] UPDATED 6/18/24 -  West Hawaii State Parks to close early on the 4th of July at 5 PM. Parks effected are: Kekaha Kai SP—Mahai’ula section and Manini’owali (Kua Bay) section, Kiholo SPR, Hapuna Beach SRA and Waialea section

State Parks Permit Information

General Permit Information & Procedure

Permits are issued Monday through Friday, except State holidays. Permits can be obtained by persons 18 years or older. To inquire about permit availability, you may call one of the district offices, Monday-Friday, 8:00am to 3:30pm Hawaii Standard Time (HST).

You must be at least 18 years of age to obtain a permit.

Applications must include the following information:

  1. Name, address, and phone number of applicant. If applicant represents an organization, include the name of the organization and business phone number.
  2. Number of persons in the party.
  3. Type of permit being requested (i.e. group use, scientific research, etc.).
  4. Date, time (for group use and pavilion permits), duration, and place of the proposed event.


Permit applications may be submitted no earlier than 1 year in advance. Applications may be submitted to the Division of State Parks in writing, or at the counter of any district office. A permit will be issued to you at the district office.  In the case of mail-in applicants, permits can be mailed to you or held at the appropriate district office for pick up.  If you would like the permit mailed to you, please include a self addressed, stamped envelope.

Issued permits and acceptable identification must be brought to the park and shall upon request, be shown to law enforcement officers and other authorized personnel.

The district office must be notified of cancellations prior to the date of the proposed event and the permit must be returned to the district office. Permits are not transferable.

State Parks Special Use Permits

Special use permits are required for certain activities including, but not limited to: group use, use of pavilions, meetings, weddings, shows, community events, scientific research, and gathering of forest products. Each special use permit shall be considered on its own merit and must be compatible with the functions and purposes of each individual area. 

Special use permit requests must be submitted at least 45 days before the requested date of use. For more information, contact the district office on where the park is located.

For Oʻahu parks, Download the Special Use Permit application here: Special Use Permit Oahu

After filling out the Special Use Permit application, please email it to [email protected]  for consideration and processing.

Permits can also be obtained at any district office of the Division of State Parks with the following exceptions:

Permits involving a commercial aspect (including a fee for participation) and fund-raising activities may require approval by the Board of Land and Natural Resources.  Therefore proposed commercial events should be requested no less than 90 DAYS in advance.

Group Use Permit

Permits are required for groups of 26 or more picnickers or other day users. Permits may be issued for hours between 7:00am and midnight of the same day except for park areas that are normally closed before midnight.

Minors below the age of 18 who stay beyond 7:00pm must have adult supervision of 1 responsible adult for every 10 or fewer minors.

Regardless of group size, permits are required for use of the pavilions at the following park areas:

Trip Request Forms

Trip Request Forms are for schools or organizations interested in arranging a field trip or service project with the Hawai’i State Department of Land and Natural Resources, Division of State Parks on O’ahu. Please complete the form below at least a month before your requested trip date. Trips are not reserved until confirmed via phone or email by State Parks Interpretive Staff. You will receive a response in 1-2 weeks. Contact the O’ahu Park Interpretive Program Specialist should there be any questions regarding your trip.

Trip Request Form (Click Here)

Kekai Mar, O’ahu Park Interpretive Program Specialist, [email protected]

*Please note that the group size may vary, but would be accommodated on staff and location availability. Activities during trips may involve an interpretive hike, non-native specie removal, native out-plantings, or other related projects based on site needs. Site terrain will vary, trails and work areas may be uneven, muddy, sandy, rocky, or in water. Weather may be humid, hot, or rainy. Trip may be cancelled on imminent weather. Some sites may not have running water or restroom facilities, and may be remote with little to no cellular service. All participants must bring a signed Liability Release Waiver in order to participate in a State Park.

Ka‘awaaloa (Kealakekua Bay) Permits

In order to access the land at or visit Ka’awaloa Flat (the location of the Captain Cook Monument), visitors have only two options:

  1. Hike from the uplands via the historic Ka’awaloa Trail.
  2. Take a guided kayak tour through one of the three permitted commercial vendors.


Transiting the bay by individuals is allowed so long as the vessel has a valid permit (both private and commercial rental vessels). Permitted vessels are prohibited from landing at Ka’awaloa flat, or launching from Napo’opo’o wharf. Visitors do NOT need to acquire their own permits when renting a kayak, but must confirm from the vessel owner that the vessel they rent possesses a valid permit for transiting the bay.

In January of 2013, DLNR initiated management activity to improve the quality and sustainability of this heavily visited and significant cultural and natural resource by regulating the use of a variety of vessels in the water and on land at Kealakekua Bay State Historical Park.

A primary issue for the change in management strategy has been the proliferation and use of unpermitted kayak rentals being conducted at the historic Napo’opo’o wharf and the subsequent impacts to the adjacent community and the user’s experience and safety, and impacts to cultural resources and subsequent reduction in quality of the resources at Ka’awaloa Flats.

There are currently 3 authorized kayak tour companies that may launch from the Napo’opo’o wharf and land at Ka’awaloa – with strict requirements that include site stewardship and the management, containment and subsequent removal of any human waste while at Ka’awaloa Flat.

In the meantime, the Division of State Parks will continue to engage in planning and identify strategies to better manage this significant cultural resource.