The Division of Aquatic Resources and the AIS team work hard to develop the youth of Hawaii by participating in community outreach events throughout the islands. Please reach out to [email protected] if you are interested in having the AIS team participate in an event, or for more information. Many invasive species are spread through the transport of people, ships, and other products; therefore, education is crucial to prevent the further spread of these harmful organisms.
–Sea urchins growing at a Sand Island hatchery soon to take on a tough job. Hawaiʻi News Now. April 2022.
-Water Hyacinth Removed From Kapahi Upper Reservoir. Kauaʻi Now. November 2021.
-Unexploded Ordnance Removal in Kāneʻohe Bay is Successful. DLNR Blog. August 2021.
-Serving Up Invasive Aquatic Species on a Plate. DLNR Blog. May 2021.
-“Autonomous Reef Monitoring Structures” Deployed at State Commercial Harbors. Maui Now. May 2021.
–10-year battle of sea urchins vs. invasive seaweed. University of Hawaiʻi News. February 2021.
-Waikīkī Aquarium adds non-native coral species to its collection. University of Hawaiʻi News. August 2020.
–State enlists sea urchins to fight invasive seaweed. Hawaiʻi Teach. February 2020.
–Hawaii Enlists Urchins to Help Corals Resist Algae Invasion. National Geographic. August 2018.
–How Tiny Sea Urchins Are Saving Kāne‘ohe Bay. NOAA Fisheries. February 2017.
– Native Urchins Successfully Control Invasive Algae in Kaneohe Bay. KHON. April 2016.
– Aerial Survey Finds Mostly Plastic, Limited Tsunami Marine Debris in Hawaii. KHON. May 2016.
– The Little Urchins That Could. Hana Hou Magazine. April/May 2014
– Roomba on the Reef. Maui Invasive Species Committee. January 21, 2014
– State Growing Urchins to Fight Invasive Seaweed. Hawaii News Now. August 14, 2013
– Waiakalua Loko Fish Pond Invasive Algae Removal. KITV. March 9, 2013
– Be Green 2: Super Sucker 2. KHON. October 23, 2012
– “Think About It”. KFVE. October 11, 2012
– Corals, Already in Danger, Are Facing New Threat From Farmed Algae. NY Times. July 8, 2008
– “Super Sucker” to the Rescue!. CNN SciTechBlog. May 19, 2008
– Super Sucker. Hana Hou Magazine. Vol. 10, No. 6. Dec/Jan 2007
– Reef Villain Meets Rival: The Super Sucker. LA Times. December 28, 2007