2021 Koke‘e Rainbow Trout Fishing Lottery
Thank you for your interest in the 2021 Koke‘e rainbow trout fishing season.
Due to COVID-19, there will be a lottery system in place for opening weekend (June 19th and 20th), and then the season will open as usual (from 6am to 6pm until September 30th) on June 21st. The lottery system will allow fishers to access the reservoir for one 4-hour session, either in the morning or afternoon, of the Saturday or Sunday of opening weekend. Entrance to Pu‘u Lua Reservoir during opening weekend will require a lottery confirmation email, fishing license, and photo identification.
The DEADLINE for submitting applications will be 4:00 p.m. on Friday, May 21, 2021. Interested fishers are encouraged to submit their application well before the application DEADLINE to ensure proper processing.
Please read these instructions, then complete the form which follows.
- The names of ALL PEOPLE IN THE GROUP (maximum group size is 25, pursuant to county guidelines for outdoor gatherings), whether fishing or not, must be included in the application.
- In the case of duplicate applications, the first application received will be entered into the lottery to assign fishing dates. Other applications will be removed from the list.
- Each applicant must also obtain a freshwater fishing license, separately from the lottery: $3 for minors (9-15 years old), $5 for residents, no charge for senior citizens. Licenses may be obtained at authorized license agents or online. LICENSES WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO PURCHASE ON-SITE.
- The bag limit for rainbow trout per fisher per session will be seven fish.
- There will be NO ENTRY to Pu’u Lua Reservoir without lottery confirmation email (opening weekend only), fishing license and Photo ID.
- Appropriate social distancing between groups is required.
- Fishers must sign in at the Pu’u Lua Reservoir main check station on arrival and sign out at the end of their session.
- Masks must be worn during sign-in and sign-out.
- Pu’u Lua reservoir intake access road will be closed to foot and vehicle traffic. Streams, upper and lower ditch systems will have poor fishing opportunities. Park headquarters, Trail 2 and Reservoir Intake check stations will open on Monday June 21, 2021.
- For non-Hawaii residents, no park entrance fee is required to fish at Pu‘u Lua Reservoir.
Q: I forgot to include someone in my group, can I add them after I have already submitted my application?
A: Yes, please email Aaron Swink if you need to add someone to your group. You must add them by June 12th, or they will not be included with your group.
Q: Do I need to submit an application for every single person in my group separately?
A: No, you need to submit one application for your entire group. One point person will be the contact person, but the entire group will be entered into the lottery. Each person who will be fishing will need a separate fishing license.
Q: Do I still need to get a fishing license if I applied for the lottery?
A: Yes, each person in your group who will be fishing needs a fishing license. You will not be able to purchase a fishing license on site.
Q: If I get my assignment, but I can’t make that day, can I switch the assignment or trade with someone?
A: No, you will not be able to switch your assignment or trade with someone else. We are sorry that everyone can not be accommodated, but we appreciate your patience during this unprecedented pandemic event. We are doing our best with the tools we have and we hope that everyone will be able to attend the fishing session they are assigned.
Q: Can I give my spot to someone else if I can’t make my assigned session?
A: No, you will not be able to give your spot to someone else. We will be checking ID’s, assignment emails and fishing licenses at the gate. We will not be able to make changes to the assignments once they are made. We appreciate your patience during this unprecedented pandemic event.
Please feel free to email Aaron Swink, our Kaua‘i education specialist, if you have any other questions.
The lottery is now closed.