2020 Koke‘e Rainbow Trout Fishing Lottery
Thank you for your interest in the 2020 Koke‘e rainbow trout fishing season.
Four-hour fishing sessions will be scheduled Saturdays and Sundays only June 20 through July 12.
In order to accommodate social distancing requirements, this year’s opening will use an online lottery system. The deadline for application was June 12. The lottery is now closed. Confirmation emails with session assignments will be sent out on or before June 17.
Entrance to Pu‘u Lua Reservoir will require a lottery confirmation email, fishing license, and photo identification.
Please read these instructions, then complete the form which follows.
- Applicants will be required to obtain a Freshwater Fishing License: $3 for minors (9-15 years old), $5 for residents, no charge for senior citizens. Licenses may be obtained at authorized license agents or online.
- No group of more than two persons may engage in fishing, unless all in the group are part of a single residential or family unit sharing the same address.
- All persons engaging in fishing, who are not part of a single residential or family unit sharing the same address, shall comply with social distancing requirements.
- The names of ALL PEOPLE IN THE GROUP, whether fishing or not, must be included in the application.
- In the case of duplicate applications, the first application received will be entered into the lottery to assign fishing dates. Other applications will be removed from the list.
- The bag limit for rainbow trout per fisher per session will be seven fish.
- There will be NO ENTRY to Pu’u Lua Reservoir without lottery confirmation email, fishing license and Photo ID. LICENSES WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO PURCHASE ON-SITE.
- Fishers must sign in at the Pu’u Lua Reservoir main check station on arrival and sign out at the end of their assigned session.
- Fishers must wear masks during their session. NO MASK NO FISH.
- Neighbor Island fishers must adhere to current travel restrictions.
- Pu’u Lua reservoir intake will be closed and no access allowed via intake road. The Park Headquarters check-in station for the upper ditch system and Trail 2 check-in station for the lower ditch system will be closed until further notice.
Q: I forgot to include someone in my group, can I add them after I have already submitted my application?
A: Yes, please email Aaron Swink if you need to add someone to your group. You must add them by June 12th, or they will not be included with your group.
Q: Do I need to submit an application for every single person in my group separately?
A: No, you need to submit one application for your entire group. One point person will be the contact person, but the entire group will be entered into the lottery. Each person who will be fishing will need a separate fishing license.
Q: Do I still need to get a fishing license if I applied for the lottery?
A: Yes, each person in your group who will be fishing needs a fishing license. You will not be able to purchase a fishing license on site.
Q: If I get my assignment, but I can’t make that day, can I switch the assignment or trade with someone?
A: No, you will not be able to switch your assignment or trade with someone else. We are sorry that everyone can not be accommodated, but we appreciate your patience during this unprecedented pandemic event. We are doing our best with the tools we have and we hope that everyone will be able to attend the fishing session they are assigned.
Q: Can I give my spot to someone else if I can’t make my assigned session?
A: No, you will not be able to give your spot to someone else. We will be checking ID’s, assignment emails and fishing licenses at the gate. We will not be able to make changes to the assignments once they are made. We appreciate your patience during this unprecedented pandemic event.
Please feel free to email Aaron Swink, our Kaua‘i education specialist, if you have any other questions.