12/06/13 – Public Hearings Scheduled On Proposed Changes To Stony Coral And Live Rock RulesPosted on Dec 6, 2013 in Aquatic Resources, News Releases
DEPARTMENT OF LAND AND NATURAL RESOURCES
WILLIAM J. AILA JR,
For Immediate News Release December 6, 2013
PUBLIC HEARINGS SCHEDULED ON PROPOSED CHANGES
TO STONY CORAL AND LIVE ROCK RULES
HONOLULU — The Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) will hold statewide public hearings to amend Hawaii Administrative Rules (HAR) relating to stony coral and live rock. The proposed amendments would clarify what activities constitute “damage” to stony coral and live rock, and establish a formula for calculating administrative penalties for such violations.
The hearings are scheduled as follows:
- Dec. 10, 2013, in Lanai City at the Senior Center, 309 7th Street, 1:00-3:00 p.m.
- Dec. 10, 2013, in Kailua-Kona at Kealakehe High School Cafeteria, 74-5000 Puohulihuli Street, 6:00-9:00 p.m.
- Dec. 10, 2013, in Honolulu at Stevenson Middle School Cafeteria, 1202 Prospect Street, 6:00-9:00 p.m.
- Dec. 11, 2013, in Hilo at Aupuni Center Conference Room, 101 Pauahi Street, Suite 101, 6:00-9:00 p.m.
- Dec. 11, 2013, in Lihue at Chiefess Kamakahelei Middle School Auditorium, 4431 Nuhou Street, 6:00-9:00 p.m.
- Dec. 11, 2013, in Kauanakakai at Mitchell Pauole Center Conference Room, 90 Ainoa Street, 1:00-3:00 p.m.
- Dec. 12, 2013, in Kahului at Maui Waena Intermediate School Cafeteria, 795 Onehee Avenue, 5:30-8:00 p.m.
All interested persons are urged to attend a public hearing to present relevant information and individual opinion for the DLNR to consider. Persons unable to attend or wishing to present additional comments may mail written testimony by Friday, Dec. 27, to the Division of Aquatic Resources, 1151 Punchbowl Street, Room 330, Honolulu, HI 96813.
Anyone with a hearing impairment who desires to attend the public hearing may request assistance of a sign language interpreter. The request may bemade in writing (to the DAR address in the preceding paragraph), or by calling 587-0100 (voice or TDD) in Honolulu. The request will need to be received at least seven days before the hearing is scheduled to start. Additional information or a copy of the proposed rules will be mailed at no charge upon receipt of verbal or written request to the DAR address or may be obtained by clicking on the link below.
Stony coral and live rock draft rules
In connection with the public hearings on Lanai and Molokai, Division of Aquatic Resources staff will be available to offer issue new or renew Commercial Fishing Licenses and to register lay nets:
Lanai – Tuesday, Dec. 10 at 10:30 a.m., at Division of Conservation and Resources Enforcement office, 917 Fraser Avenue, Lanai City
Molokai – Wednesday Dec. 11 at10:30 a.m.at Mitchell Pauole Center, Kaunakakai Gym conference room, 90 Ainoa Street, Kaunakakai
For further information, contact the Maui office of Division of Aquatic Resources at 243-5294.
# # #
Public Information Specialist