06/24/14 – DLNR To Hold Public Information Meeting On Final EIS For Lahaina Ferry Pier ImprovementsPosted on Jun 24, 2014 in Boating & Ocean Recreations, News Releases
DEPARTMENT OF LAND AND NATURAL RESOURCES
WILLIAM J. AILA JR,
For Immediate News Release June 24, 2014
DLNR TO HOLD PUBLIC INFORMATION MEETING ON FINAL EIS
FOR LAHAINA FERRY PIER IMPROVEMENTS
LAHAINA, MAUI – The Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) will hold a public information on Wednesday, July 2, on the final environmental impact statement for the proposed Lahaina Small Boat Harbor ferry pier improvements.
The meeting will take place from 6 to 8 p.m. at the West Maui Senior Center, 788 Pauoa St., in Lahaina.
The proposed project has been reduced in scope due to the extensive consultation that has been ongoing with the regulatory agencies and the Section 106 consultation groups. Dredging to widen the harbor basin as originally proposed has been eliminated from the project scope.
The new interisland ferry pier will be located approximately 60 feet to the north of the existing pier at the Lahaina Small Boat Harbor. It will be approximately 115 feet long and 20 feet wide (reduced from the originally proposed 35 feet), will be on piles, and will be able to accommodate approximately 100 passengers.
Ancillary actions include:
- construction of a shade roof involving four open-sided, roofed structures 14 feet in height (reduced from originally proposed 17 feet height), connected by three open trellises on the ferry pier to shelter passengers during arrivals and departures;
- construction of two sewage pump out stations;
- construction of a concrete gangway measuring 16 feet by 60 feet to connect the existing pier with the new pier structure;
- replacement of the existing harbor administration office;
- improvements to the passenger loading and drop-off area; sidewalk widening along the northwestern portion of Hotel Street; and
- aresurfacing of a portion of Wharf Street to facilitate safe passenger/pedestrian movement in and around the small boat harbor.
# # #
Public Information Specialist