09/03/20-HAWAI‘I ISLAND STATE PARKS CLOSURES IN COLLABORATION WITH COUNTY CLOSURESPosted on Sep 3, 2020 in Main, Media, News Releases, State Parks
|DAVID Y. IGE
SUZANNE D. CASE
HAWAI‘I ISLAND STATE PARKS CLOSURES IN COLLABORATION WITH COUNTY CLOSURES
(Honolulu) – At the request of Mayor Harry Kim and to mirror the County of Hawaiʻiʻs latest Emergency Order, closing all county beach parks, the DLNR Division of State Parks is closing all Big Island coastal and beach park areas effective this Friday, September 4 continuing through September 18. This effort is aimed at preventing large unauthorized gatherings and suppressing the increasing spread of COVID-19, particularly during the upcoming Labor Day holiday weekend. At all affected parks, gates will remain locked and parking lots will be closed.
Parks closed 9-4 to 9-18, 2020
- Lapakahi State Historical Park
- Hapuna Beach State Recreation Area
- Kekaha Kai State Park
- Kiholo State Park Reserve
- Kealakekua Bay State Historical Park (Land areas closed, bay waters open for boating and ocean recreation under COVID restrictions)
- MacKenzie State Recreation Area
Transiting through the closed parks to access allowable ocean activities is permitted.
# # #
Senior Communications Manager