02/26/21-LAND BOARD RECEIVES UPDATE ON POHOIKI BOAT RAMP RESTORATION OPTIONSPosted on Feb 26, 2021 in BLNR, Boating, Boating & Ocean Recreations, Fishing, Main, Media, News Releases, slider
|DAVID Y. IGE
SUZANNE D. CASE
For Immediate News Release: February 26, 2021
LAND BOARD RECEIVES UPDATE ON POHOIKI BOAT RAMP RESTORATION OPTIONS
To view video please click on photo or view at this link: https://vimeo.com/517316639
(HONOLULU) – Restoration of a widely-used boat ramp at Pohoiki Bay, in the Puna District of Hawai‘i island, blocked by new sand during the 2018 Puna lava eruption is estimated to take between nine months and six or more years, and cost between $2.5 and $28 million, the State Land of Board and Natural Resources heard during a briefing today.
Finn McCall, engineer for the DLNR Division of Boating and Ocean Recreation (DOBOR) presented three options for reopening the ramp. The fastest is also the least costly, though less permanent.
Excavation and Dredging
- Removal of apx. 15,000 cubic yards of sand by dredging or excavation
- Placement of sand back on the beach
- Estimated construction cost of $2.5 million
- Construction timeline: approximately 9 months
Entrance Channel Improvements
- Follow-up to dredging and excavation
- Installation of permanent structures to protect entrance channel
- New swim area
- Estimated construction cost of $6 million
- Construction timeline: 2-3 years
New Boat Ramp Facility
- New ramp on new lava flow on the north side of the bay
- Construction of new breakwater, boat ramp, loading dock, trailer turn around & parking area
- Estimated construction cost: $28 million
- Construction timeline: 5-6 years +
All of the options require varying levels of regulatory environmental review and all are dependent on funding. DOBOR plans to apply for a funding match from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), which might contribute 75% of the construction cost.
Today’s presentation was for informational purposes only; the Land Board did not take any action.
# # #
Senior Communications Manager