Boating & Ocean Recreations Forms

Please note that if a vessel is being registered for the first time or transferred, vessel registration forms should not be mailed to DOBOR.

The applicant must submit them in person and provide proof of identity at the time of submission. On the Big Island, Kauai, and Maui, this transaction can be done at any DOBOR harbor or the District Office. On Oahu, this transaction can only be done at the DOBOR administrative offices located at 333 Queen Street. Suite 300, in Honolulu. Acquire the official form at the nearest DOBOR facility, fill it in completely and submit in person with 1) proof of ownership (bill of sale, notice of transfer, manufacturer’s statement of origin, etc.), and, 2) a valid form of identification (driver’s license, State of Hawaii ID card). DOBOR will accept cash, checks (pre-printed with address and phone number) and credit cards (Visa and MasterCard only) as forms of payment. If you have any additional questions about what is required to process your vessel registration form or the change of status form, please call (808) 587-1970 or the nearest DOBOR office. See a listing of DOBOR offices throughout the islands. If you just need to re-register your vessel you can do so by mail using the registration notice DOBOR send in the mail, or you can visit the vessel registration web page on-line at

VESSEL REGISTRATION FORM Page 1, 129K JPEG) Page 2, 109K JPEG) To register a vessel and for certificate of number for any undocumented vessel principally used in Hawaii. This is a sample for information purposes only.Please acquire the official form at DOBOR offices.

The following forms may be relayed to DOBOR via mail or fax.  

Boating Accident Reports should be filled in as completely a possible whenever there is an accident involving a vessel, PWC, etc. and the damage is estimated to be in excess of $200. All reports are confidential. Information relayed to DOBOR is entered into the USCG’s Boating Accident Report Database (BARD). These completed forms should be sent to the DOBOR administrative Office at 333 Queen Street, Suite 300, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813, attn: Boating Safety Education Specialist.

MOWE Permits– To apply for a permit to host a sailing regatta, marine parade, boat race, exhibition, surf contest, etc., submit a Marine/Ocean Waters Event Permit application to the DOBOR District Office in the district where the event will be held.

The following forms may be relayed via mail or hand delivered to the appropriate DOBOR harbors. Please note that some forms must bear an original signature.

APPLICATION FOR A BOAT HARBOR AGREEMENT AND USE PERMIT [Fillable PDF] To apply for a mooring in a DOBOR-managed facility.
APPLICATION FOR COMMERCIAL INSTRUCTOR/OPERATOR PERMIT To apply for a permit to operate specific vessels or provide instruction for various ocean recreation activities (surfing, sailboard, canoe, kayak, diving, etc.)
APPLICATION FOR CONSTRUCTION OF STRUCTURE Must be submitted and approved prior to any construction or modification of an existing structure.
APPLICATION FOR DRY STORAGE To apply for dry storage on a DOBOR-managed property.
PROOF OF HAWAII RESIDENCE Must be submitted with wait-list and mooring permit applications.
APPLICATION FOR A COMMERCIAL USE PERMIT To apply for a Commercial Use Permit in a DOBOR-managed facility.
APPLICATION FOR HOT WORK PERMIT Required for any welding or burning operation on a DOBOR-managed property.
APPLICATION FOR PRINCIPLE HABITATION PERMIT Required for any live-aboard at Keehi and Ala Wai SBH (Oahu only).
APPLICATION FOR ORMA EQUIPMENT REGISTRATION Registration is required for recreational equipment used in an ORMA.
APPLICATION TO REMOOR To be submitted when requesting relocation to a different berth in the same harbor.
APPLICATION FOR A TEMPORARY MOORING To apply for a temporary mooring while searching for a permanent mooring.
APPLICATION FOR WAIT LIST To be placed on the wait list for a mooring in a harbor or off-shore mooring.
REGISTRATION FOR VISITING VESSELS [Fillable PDF] Registration required for foreign, out of state and neighbor island vessels mooring in a DOBOR facility.


Change of Status To report a change of address, to report a boat that was sold, lost, destroyed, abandoned, documented, stolen or removed from the State.
Marine Event Permit To apply for a permit for a marine event for Oahu District only.
Marine Event Permit To apply for a permit for a marine event in DOBOR Hawaii, Kauai and Maui Districts.
Form LNR-3-027 Boating Accident Report This form has been replaced by CG-3865 BAR Form – 2008.
CG-3865 BAR Form – 2011 Boating Accident Report (668K PDF) A boating accident report is required by law when there is loss of life, injury beyond (on-site) first aid, there is a total loss of a vessel or damage exceeds $200.