Board of Land and Natural Resources
The Board of Land and Natural Resources (BLNR) is composed of seven members: one from each of the four land districts (O‘ahu, Hawai‘i Island, Maui Nui, Kaua‘i), two at large, and the Chair, who is also the executive head of the Department of Land and Natural Resources. Members are nominated by the Governor and, with the consent of the Senate, appointed by the Governor for a four-year term. No more than three members of the BLNR may be from the same political party. A Member having any interest, direct or indirect, in a matter before the BLNR must disqualify her/himself from voting on or participating in discussion on the matter. The BLNR convenes twice monthly (with limited exceptions) to review and take action on submittals from department staff, including land leases and Conservation District Use Applications (CDUAs). At BLNR meetings, public testimony regarding staff submittals is accepted.
For further information about the BLNR, please refer to the Hawai‘i Revised Statutes,
Inquiries can be directed to the Land Board Secretary at [email protected], 808.587.0404 or in writing to P.O. Box 621, Honolulu, Hawai`i 96809.
Click on Member’s name to view bio
- Suzanne D. Case, Chair, 1st term: 1/1/2015 – 12/31/2018 (began service 4/24/2015);
2nd term: 1/1/2019 – 12/31/2022
- Riley Smith, Hawai‘i Island Member, 1st term: 7/1/2022 – 6/30/2026
- Doreen Nāpua Canto, Maui Nui Member, 1st term: 7/1/2021 – 6/30/2025
- Karen Ono, Kaua‘i Member, 1st term: 7/1/2020 – 6/30/2024 (began service 5/1/2022)
- Aimee Keli‘i Barnes, O‘ahu Member, 1st term: 7/1/2021 – 6/30/2025 (began service 1/1/2022)
- Vernon Char, At Large, 1st term: 7/1/2017 – 6/30/2021 (began service 10/25/2019);
2nd term: 7/1/2021 – 6/30/2025
- Wesley “Kaiwi” Yoon, At Large, 1st term: 7/1/2018 – 6/30/2022 (began service 10/25/2019); 2nd term: 7/1/2022 – 6/30/26
Land Board Meetings (Agendas, Submittals & Minutes)