The Natural Area Reserves System (NARS) Commission members act in an advisory capacity for the Board of Land and Natural Resources, which sets policies for the Department. Meeting documents relating to the commission, including agendas and minutes, are below.
About the NARS Commission
Hawai‘i Revised Statutes §195-6 contains rules that govern the membership, procedures, and administrative details of the commission. Hawai‘i Revised Statutes §195-7 outlines the powers and duties of the commission, including:
(1) Establish criteria to be used in determining whether an area is suitable for inclusion with the reserves system;
(2) Conduct studies of areas for possible inclusion within the reserves system;
(3) Recommend to the governor and the department areas suitable for inclusion within the reserves system;
(4) Establish policies and criteria regarding the management, protection, and permitted uses of areas which are part of the reserves system;
(5) Advise the governor and the department on any matter relating to the preservation of Hawai‘i’s unique natural resources;
(6) Develop ways and means of extending and strengthening presently established preserves, sanctuaries, and refuges within the State;
(7) Advise the department and other public agencies managing state-owned land or natural resources regarding areas under their respective jurisdictions which are or may be appropriate for designation as natural area reserves; and
(8) In carrying out the above duties, consult the most comprehensive up-to-date compilation of scientific data on the communities of natural flora and fauna of Hawai‘i. [L 1970, c 139, pt of §1; am L 1987, c 350, §5]
For details of current commissioners, please contact Forestry & Wildlife.
|Ms. Michelle Clark||Ecology|
|Dr. Pat Hart||Designee for President, University of Hawai‘i|
|Ms. Hi‘ilei Kawelo||Cultural Practitioner|
|Ms. Janis Matsunaga||Designee for Department of Agriculture Chair|
|Mr. Jay Penniman||Biology|
|Dr. Donald Drake||Botany|
|Dr. Norine Yeung||Zoology|
|Ms. Mary-Alice Evans||Director, Office of Planning, Ex officio|
|Mr. Jeffery Saito||Hunting|
|Ms. Allison Cohan||Natural Resource Management|
Documents from previous NARS Commission meetings are available below. Agendas and minutes for NARS Commission meetings are also posted on the State of Hawaiʻi eCalendar.
CANCELLED: NARS Commission Meeting October 17, 2023
Please note that the meeting for October 17, 2023 has been cancelled.
Request to recognize the importance of protecting thirteen dominant native forest species
Letter from NARSC to Board of Agriculture