Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions


Where is the Honolulu Watershed Trail?
The Honolulu Watershed has not a single trail but a network of trails within the Honolulu Watershed Forest Reserve. Popular trails include Puʻu ʻŌhiʻa, Kalāwahine and Mānoa Falls Trails. For maps, closures and information:

Which hikes have waterfalls in the Honolulu Watershed?

There are two trails in the Honolulu Watershed that have waterfalls – Mānoa Falls, re-opened in July 2021 with a newly refurbished trail and Lulumahu Falls, which needs a permit for access:

Per the Board of Water Supply, there is no legal access to Hamama Falls in Waiheʻe Valley.

Which hikes do I need a permit to access?

Hikers can apply for Kuaokalā and Lulumahu day permits online:
There is a processing fee of $2.50 for all permits purchased through that portal.

Poamoho Trail – Hikers need a permit and 4×4 vehicle to drive past the gate and on the road to Poamoho trailhead. For more information and how to obtain a permit:–poamoho-hele-loa-access-on-line-permit/175

Which popular hikes are not managed by DOFAW?

Diamond Head, ʻAiea Loop, Makapuʻu Lighthouse and Kaʻena Point Trails are all managed by DLNR Division of State Parks. For more information on these trails visit the Division of State Parks website here

Koko Crater Trail is managed by the City and County of Honolulu:

Can I bring my dog on the trails with me?

Some, but not all areas. Dogs are not allowed within Kaʻena Point Natural Area Reserve or any Wildlife Sanctuary: Kawainui, Hāmākua, Pouhala and Paikō Lagoon and all off shore islands that are open to the public: Mokulua islets, Popoiʻa, Kapapa and Mokūʻauia Islands.

Hikers can find info on a trail and see if it is dog-friendly by visiting the Nā Ala Hele interactive trail map here

If it is a dog-friendly trail, hikers must keep their dogs leashed at all times and remove dog waste. Be advised, hunting may be in progress on or near hiking trails in a Public Hunting Area. Hunting dogs may be off-leash while engaged in the hunt.

Are there COVID-19 restrictions when hiking on the trails?

We follow the Mayor’s order for Covid-19 guidelines on trails, especially groups allowed on the trail. You can find the guidelines here:

For a list of City and County of Honolulu managed parks visit their website here


How do I get a hunting license?

Hunters must have a valid hunting license for the State of Hawaiʻi to hunt in all State managed public hunting units.

The following are required to purchase a hunting license online:
1. a valid Hawaiʻi Hunter Education Number; or
2. a valid Exemption Number issued by the Hawaiʻi Hunter Education Program, applicable only to:
Hawaiʻi residents born prior to January 01, 1972 with proof of a Hawaiʻi Hunting License prior to 1990; and non-residents who have completed a basic hunter education certification course in another state, Canadian province, or other country that has a course recognized by the International Hunter Education Association).

For basic hunter education classes, visit:

Hunters can purchase their hunting license online:

Hunting in private property must obtain approval from the property owner.

Makua Keaʻau

All hunters interested in hunting in Makua Keaʻau must have a valid State of Hawaiʻi hunting license for the fiscal year July 1- June 30.
Seasons (mammal vs. bird) (archery/knife/rifle) are located on hunting maps:

Vehicles do not need to be registered for Makua Keaʻau. Hunters need a valid hunting license for the current fiscal year in order to hunt and park in Makua Keaʻau.


Hunters will need to apply for a hunting permit in Poamoho – Unit G: 

Hunters can form a hunting party of up to five hunters per party. All hunters within a hunting party must have a hunting permit specifically for Poamoho.
Minors can apply for a hunting permit for Poamoho, they need their hunting license for the current fiscal year, and some valid form of identification. They must be accompanied by an adult, who also holds a valid hunting permit for Poamoho.

Are there other places to hunt besides Public Hunting Areas?

DOFAW lands that are not designated hunting areas may be available for hunting with a wildlife control permit. Contact the O’ahu office for details.


I’ve found a Downed Native Sea bird , where can I take it to get help?

For downed native seabirds the public may call 973-9778 and choose from the directory the downed bird option. This should connect you to the wildlife biologist who handles downed seabirds. Please include your name, bird species and location.

There are also additional sites of nearby areas the public can drop off native birds themselves:
Humane Society is open 24/7 for seabird drop off
Feather and Fur in Kailua is open 24/7 for seabird drop off
Other response groups who can pick up birds:
Hawaiʻi Marine Animal Response (808) 220-7802
Hawaiʻi Wildlife Center (808) 884-5000

Learn more about Seabird Fallout Season here

Who do I report to if I found a dead native bird?

For reporting dead native species, or species they think may be native but are uncertain, the public may contact DOFAW and request to speak to a non-game biologist. For example: a dead owl hanging on a fence. Call 973-9778 and choose the Wildlife program option.

For non-native/injurious species:
If you are concerned about an invasive species, you can report it at 643-PEST (808-643-7378) or at the website. We are not a pest removal entity. However, the public may contact DOFAW and ask for a non-game biologist for questions on removal, legal questions or report suspicious activity. Call 973-9778 and choose the Wildlife program option.

For a list of injurious species:

For dead animals found suspected to be poisoned or diseased contact the US Fish and Wildlife Pacific Islands Fish and Wildlife Office:

Feral pigs are on my property. Who can I call to help get rid of them?

For feral pigs in a private property the public can refer to Pig Hunters Association of Oʻahu (PHAO):
**Note – the organization gets a high volume around the holidays till spring as the weather changes. Members of the public can also refer to the USDA as a backup if the PHAO is not available:

If someone is interested in eradicating pigs themselves, they must apply for a Wildlife control permit:

Feral pigs or carcasses on public roads and highways fall under the jurisdiction of the City and County:

You can also contact a wildlife game biologist for reporting purposes: 973-9778 and choose the Wildlife program option.

Kawainui Marsh

For all Kawainui Marsh related inquiries or to report any suspicious activity, the public may call 973-9778 and choose the Wildlife program option or send an email to [email protected]


How do I apply for a camping permit?

Camping permits are issued online:;jsessionid=2A4CAC6E5F15EE22D72F6AA43475BE21.app4
For vehicular access to the Peacock Flats or for research within other Forest Reserves, email the Forestry Program Manager Ryan Peralta at least two weeks ahead of date needed.
Email [email protected] to request the Forestry Program manager’s email, or call 973-9778 and choose the Forestry option.

Who do I contact to purchase plants from the nursery?

For those interested in purchasing plants or seeds from the DOFAW Oʻahu Branch nursery in Makiki may call 973-9778 to be connected to the Oʻahu Branch Horticulturalist. Please leave your name and contact number.

Who do I contact to collect plant material from a Forest Reserve?

For those interested in collecting plants, seeds, branches or trees within a Forest Reserve for personal or commercial purposes will need to apply for a Collections permit:
They can also email their application to [email protected]
Or fax to 973-9781

All collections on private property must contact the property owner for approval.

Who do I call to report a Downed Tree?

For trees that have fallen, depending on where a tree is downed or blocking a road and path entry will determine which number to call. Private property is usually the responsibility of property owner.

For more landownership info for your location, see this map of DLNR managed areas:

Other locations such as public roads, sidewalks and highways fall under the City and County of Honolulu: