Kaulunani Useful Links
Urban and Community Forestry Resource Links in Hawaiʻi
- Kaulunani Program Accomplishments (1993-2013)
- Hawaiʻi Forest Action Plan; Issue Four: Urban and Community Forestry
- Honolulu’s Urban Tree Canopy Report
- Hawaiʻi Urban Tree Inventory
- Arbor Day in Hawaiʻi
- STEW-MAP Hawaiʻi
- Guide for Honolulu Tree Inquiries
- Urban Forestry Incident Command Engagement Model Booklet
- DUFʻs Standards and Procedures for the Planting of Street Trees
- HECOʻs “Planting the Right Tree in the Right Place” Booklet
- Plant Pono Website – Find pono plants for your yard
- SelecTree Website – Find urban trees that match your landscape needs
- Forestry Extension – University of Hawaiʻi College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources
- 2021 Honolulu Magazine Article: Honolulu is Losing Trees When We Need Them More Than Ever. Can New Initiatives Save Us?
- USDA Forest Service; Region 5
- City and County of Honolulu Division of Urban Forestry
- Smart Trees Pacific
- The Outdoor Circle
- University of Hawaiʻi Master Gardener Program
- Aloha Arborist Association
- Landscape Industry Council of Hawaiʻi
- Maui County Arborist Committee
- Hui Manu-O-Kū
Invasive Species Links in Hawaiʻi
- Hawaiʻi Invasive Species Information Portal (HISC, ISCs, CGAPS)
- Hawaiʻi Pacific Weed Risk Assessment
Urban and Community Forestry Links Outside Hawaiʻi
- National Arbor Day Foundation
- American Forests Website
- International Society of Arboriculture
- Trees Are Good Website – provides quality arboriculture/tree care related information
- Verify an ISA Credential
- Find an Arborist Tool
- USDA Forest Service Urban Ecosystems and Social Dynamics Program
- USDA Forest Service Urban and Community Forestry
- Watershed Forestry Resource Guide
Health and Trees References
Wolf, K. L., Lam, S. T., McKeen, J. K., Richardson, G., van den Bosch, M., & Bardekjian, A. C. (2020). Urban Trees and Human Health: A Scoping Review. International journal of environmental research and public health, 17(12), 4371.
Astell-Burt, T., Navakatikyan, M. A., & Feng, X. (2020). Urban green space, tree canopy and 11-year risk of dementia in a cohort of 109,688 Australians. Environment International, 145, 106102.
Takano, Nakamura, Watanabe (2002). Urban residential environments and senior citizens’ longevity in megacity areas: the importance of walkable green spaces.
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), (2008). Using Trees and Vegetation to Reduce Heat Islands.
Leung, W. T. V., Tam, T. Y. T., Pan, W.-C., Wu, C.-D., Lung, S.-C. C., & Spengler, J. D. (2019). How is environmental greenness related to students’ academic performance in English and Mathematics? Landscape and Urban Planning, 181, 118–124.
Donovan, G. H., Butry, D. T., Michael, Y. L., Prestemon, J. P., Liebhold, A. M., Gatziolis, D., Mao, M. Y. (2013). The Relationship Between Trees and Public Health. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 44(2), 139-145.
Ulrich, R.S. (1984). View Through a Window May Influence Recovery from Surgery. Science, 224(4647), 420-421.
Nowak, D. J. (2002) The Effects of Urban Trees on Air Quality.
Hawaiian Electric (HECO), (2014). Planting the Right Tree in the Right Place.
Kuo, F. E., Taylor, A. F. (2004). A Potential Natural Treatment for Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder: Evidence From a National Study. American Journal of Public Health, 94(9), 1580-1586.
Matsuoka, R. H. (2010). Student performance and high school landscapes: Examining the links. Landscape and Urban Planning, 97(4), 273-282.
Taylor, A. F., Kuo, F. E., Sullivan, W. C. (2002). Views of Nature and Self-Discipline: Evidence From Inner City Children. Journal of Environmental Psychology, 22(1-2), 49-63.
Berto, R. 2005. Exposure to Restorative Environments Helps Restore Attentional Capacity. Journal of Environmental Psychology 25, 3:249-259.
Shibata, S., and N. Suzuki. 2002. Effects of the Foliage Plant on Task Performance and Mood. Journal of Environmental Psychology 22, 3:265-272.
Lohr, V. I., C. H. Pearson-Mims, and G.K. Goodwin. 1996. Interior Plants May Improve Worker Productivity and Reduce Stress in a Windowless Environment. Journal of Environmental Horticulture 14:97-100.